HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ban Toy Guns??
Thread: Ban Toy Guns??
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 07:52 AM
Briman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ban Toy Guns??

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Two thugs walk into the local convenient store and get the attendant at gunpoint with an authentic looking &quot;Toy Gun&quot;. In the meanwhile an alarm was sent to the police dept. and the cops are on their way. Already a serious crime has been committed being toy or not called armed robbery. On their way out the door the cruiser shows up and two armed policemen bail out with guns drawn and both see the replica &quot;Toy Gun&quot; in the hand of the thug. The thug makes a move with this toy gun pointing at the police to try to keep them in check as they escape. At this point the policemen have to make a decision and what do you think it is? What would you do if you were in the policeman’s shoes? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I believe the cop has every right to use deadly force in this instance. In this case the thug is using a toy gun to threaten or give the officer a perceived threat to his life. If a cop cannot make a judgement on whether the person in front of them is an 8 year old boy playing with a squirt gun, or 20 year old who is running out of a liquor store with a real looking toy gun after a 911 call, the officer should find a profession he is more suited for.

One more thing... if you are using this example to ban toy guns, wouldn't stand to reason that the argument is the same for banning real guns if the thugs were using real guns?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I can see your from the country or very young. You need to get out more and spend some time in the streets, you wouldn't last 10 minutes out there <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Yes, I did grow up in the country, but this does not make me a rube. An old chinese proverb says &quot;if you look for trouble, you will find it&quot; Why would I want to spend time in the 'streets'? I have no business in shady areas of a city so I do not go there. These areas are human cesspools where parents, or 'parent' more likely if you can call them that are not teaching their kids right from wrong or disciplining them. This type of behavior and ethic is so foreign to me and to the type of place I come from that these people might as well be from a different planet. The kneejerk reaction is always that if one of these people find themselves in trouble with the law by misusing an object, the object should be banned for everyone.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?