HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Two Questions Caliber and Scope
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 AM
zeus50
Spike

Default RE: Two Questions Caliber and Scope

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

Me personally, I am a big fan of the .308, but since you already have access to a .30 cal in your dads gun, stick to the .270. Lots of rifles get bought for that one day out west trip, that generally doesn't come for another 10 years, and in many cases never. That isn't to discourage you from trying to go. Right now, I am one of the guys that says one day.... although a Kodiak Alaska trip is in the works. As for the scope. I have shot thousands of rounds of .308 with the Nikon Buckmaster.I used it to take a few prairie dogs at 600+.a do mean a few.(only one day on thedogtown) it was just more enjoyable to kill more at 300-400. Anhow, I thought that it was fantastic. IMHO better than alot of high priced jobs that I have shot with at the range. I would surely reccommend it. DM makes a good point in the scope power, though I personally like to bring that target nice and close before I shot. Just personal preferance.
I do have the .30 in my dads gun, but honestly, I dont' think i've ever taken a rifle hunting with me that my dad wasn't with me, and the '06 is his baby so that is what he always carries. I was thinking .308 because if we both go on a hunt where we need .30 cals we'd be set.

Plus for an in between gun for my 30/30 and .308 i was think of a 7mm-8. One day.......but thats another topic.

I won the .270, so if Gander Mtn doesn't let me trade calibers I wont be upset...buuuutttt if they do....i dn't know why i have my heart set on a .308....

thoughts?