HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Two Questions Caliber and Scope
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 AM
zeus50
Spike

Default Two Questions Caliber and Scope

Sorry if this seems repetitive.

I won Remington 700 SPS .270 in a gun raffle. When I pick the gun up, i'm going to first see if I can get it in a .308. My only other rifle is a 30/30. My dad has an '06 so I don't want that, I can always use his if I need it and he isn't using it. I want my own longer range .30 rifle. I think the 30/30 and the .308 combo will do me good for years. What do you think about this? Or should I stick with the .270?

I will be using the rifle mostly for Deer in PA, WV. MAYBE one day bear or a trip out west.

I know that the rule of thumb is to spend as much if not more on the scope as the rifle. Well the Rifle is 500 dollars.

I took a look at the 400 dollar Leupold's and asked the man behind the counter what he recommend. I told him I would one day like to go out west. So he recommended the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 x 14 x 40 for 299.99. I actually liked it better then the comparable Leupold which was 399.99. So then I asked, what if I just do Deer in PA. He then recommended the Nikon ProStaff 3x9x40 for 159.99. I really like the BDC(i think thats is) circles in the scope.

My scope question: What you guys recommend for my rifle scope. I budgeted 400 for the scope so price isn't the issue. But for some reason I liked the ProStaff better for what I need it for. Is Nikon a good scope?

Thanks in advance.

Z