HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions
Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Phade
Typical Buck

Default RE: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Hey Phade -

Sure I realize Antler Restrictions is one tool that is possible in QDM. It in itself is not QDM - I do understand that - though people opposed to A/R often do not.

I support the idea if A/R, in lieu of a 3" antler minimum. I think it makes hunters be more sure of what they are taking, and helps to change the mindset of hunters, if they have to consider Antler points before pulling the trigger. Will yearling 7 pointers get taken..........YEP - and it will be legal and the hunter should get a pat on the back for making a good decision, he or she might be more proud of that seven point than 6 years of 4points in a row.

The way I see it, the law would "protect" 25% - 50% of yearling bucks no matter where you live. That same percentage would make up 1/3 of the harvest otherwise.............so more deer each year will live to see their Second Rack, etc. etc.

My understanding is that QDM backers that oppose a Point restrictions - favor a "width Minimum" for antlers. This might be a good rule for a hunt club - but I wouldn't want to see this law legislated as a statewide regulation. I think it would be too hard to adhere to - even if it is more effective.

I wouldn't care if we never had statewide regulations for bucks - if more deer were allowed to live past 1-1/2 years old. When 80% of your buck harvest is 1-1/2 years old or less.........Then the state is managing for Quantity - not Quality no matter what anyone else has to say about it.

So what do we do if we want more deer in each age class (QDM)- Here's the options:

1. Nothing - Lets leave things as they are - and harvest 80% of 1-1/2 year old bucks every year. Limit doe permits - so that we can boost the population to support this harvest.

2. Reduce the length of the regular firearms season to 5-7 days like many of the Mid Western states do. This would "protect" many more deer by default.

3. Change hunters mindset on what is deer is OK and desireable to harvest. How can we get more hunters to NOT WANT to shoot the first (or 2nd, or 3rd) yearling buck that happensby?

4. Keep the Gun hunting season long - and come up with another way to reduce the number of yearling bucks harvested - 1. Antler Restrictions, 2. Must harvest a doe before a buck tag is issued, etc. All are options.

In a nutshell this is what we are faced with - I favor Option 4 - because I like the long seasons - and the chances to hunt other areas. BUT - my next option would be #2 and reduce the gun season to a shorter one. Of course I hunt with bow & Blackpowder - so that option doesn't really bother me much.

FH
Your are certainly right on many aspects. Many QDMA people feel that doing anything on a state level is too much to be shoved down throats, or is not practical (ie the width, which I agree is more biologically sound).

They in turn believe in #3, but trying to educate people into what deer to harvest is ideal. It is effective, as seen in the growing number of QDM followers and practioners. I believe #3 is the way to go, without legislation/regulation/a seperating issue on all of NY's hunters. Education is key.

I think the points-based A/R has its biological holes, and simply is not a fair way to determine what is best for everyone/thing deer and hunters included.

Management of the deer herd is there, but the DEC also states they seek to meet the needs/desires of hunters as well. They do that because hunters are the #1 management tool. Right now, I think it best to consider an educational movement before jumping ship into a big ocean.

In regards to #2, shortening the season. I think it should be a 14-day season, for modern gun. However, #2 will not protect the younger bucks at all. In fact, it may INCREASE the % of younger deer harvested. NY DEC Central Deer Biologist Jeremy Hurst and I regularly speak on articles I write. He's told methe large majority (I forget the % but it is in the 80% area) of those younger deer are taken within the first 48-72 hours of the season. It wouldn't make such alarge dent as toproduce a noticeable difference in shortening the season, since only 20% of younger deer that are harvested are taken in the remaining 20-21 days of our current season.

I think 2 bucks on tags, for the combo of seasons. Either doen like this...1st buck can be taken at any moment. After that 1st buck is harvested, a doe must be harvested (considering DMP info) before the 2nd buck can be taken.

OR

1 must be any length of antler, and one must be 4 points or larger on one side. That, to me, would be a compromise in the middle of the road. That would suffice the "few day a year hunters" and those who want to target larger bucks.