HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need tips for scouting elk...
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 12:21 PM
AppleOnMyHead

Default Need tips for scouting elk...

I went on a trip last year and we are leaving Friday for our second trip. This year we will be there a week early to scout. Any tips would be great, but here are some questions I have off the top of my head.

What areas can elk be found in during different parts of the day (when do they feed this time of year, etc..)?

I read a lot about elk being on east facing ridges when it is still hot like this. Why are they here and to they stay facing the east all day?

What is the best way to scout elk that maybe on east facing ridges? I was thinking about walking the west side of the ridge and looking for saddles or other crossing spots and occasionally peeking over and glassing the other side.

I've found some good lookout areas that havemeadows and creeks in their view, but far enough away as to not spook any elk that may come in. What else and where else will elk be eating?

What is the best time of day to scout? I'm guessing elk are pretty stationary during the heat of the day, so I was planning on moving during the day to a good lookout point and watching the meadows and watering holes during the last few hours of light and maybe into the night if it is a crystal clear night. Would I be best off to stay until the next morning as well to catch any activity during the first hours of light?

If it helps we will be just north of the New Mexico border in Colorado hunting at 9,000 to 11,500 feet.

Any other tidbits you think might help are also welcome.