HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bolt hard to close....
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bolt hard to close....

ORIGINAL: mello_collins

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Test #3. Once you find that the bolt will close easily, prime the cases, add the powder charge, and seat the bullet. Test #3 has to be done at the range with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction-test the loads now, and see if th ammo will chamber freely. If it doesn't, smething you did whien seating the bullets is causing the problem. Look at the bullets on the rounds that caused problems-do you see any marks from the rifling?? Believe me, IF your bullets are touching the rifling, it will be obvious!! If so, the bullets are seated out too far, and need to be seated deeper.

Let us know what you find to be the cause!! Good luck!!
I do this with an unprimed case to make a dummy round for the max OAL for that bullet in my rifle. I then write on the case bullet make, weight, and OAL. I then always have an example to reference from.

mello
Mello....I think that is an excellent habit. I've been doing exactly the same thing for years. I keep the casings identified as to which bullet it holds for what gun. Sure speeds setting up seater die. I always check the finished round with calipers just to be sure............