HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sometimes you just have to be honest .............
Old 02-09-2003, 08:37 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sometimes you just have to be honest .............

Don,

Been there, done that. I got to a point with instinctive shooting many years ago where I had peaked...and it wasn't good enough IMO. I shoot with some guys who are just flat-out frightening instinctive shooters, but I wasn't at that level and probably never would be. And things only got worse in the woods.

After much deliberation, and fighting with myself, I tore everything down and started over. Different hold, different anchor, and gap shooting. Yes, it felt strange at first and my consistency was worse. Like any change though, it takes time for it to feel right. Eventually things worked out fine and I've never shot better.

Yes, I still maintain some instinctive shooting, but it's mostly for bowfishing and other close-range fast shots (spitting distance). Anything at about 10 yards or more I gap shoot.

This is the perfect time of the year to make a change. Deer season's a long way off and you've got plenty of time to play around.

JRW