HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cleaning /range vs field
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Wolfhound76

Default RE: cleaning /range vs field

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot aload, or rifle,where I had to swab between every shot just to be able to load the bullet or get decent accuracy. I'd be looking for a different load or a new rifle.
I'm just so used to it that it doesn't bother me. I take two ramrods to the range, one for loading and one for swabbing. I have all my patches premoistened and stick dry ones in a pocket for quick access. I do it even when I don't have to out of habit more than anything. A while back I was testing some sabots in a dirty bore (no swabbing period) and It was one of the hardest shooting sessions I can remember (not the loading). I kept wanting to swab the bore out.

I can understand why you don't like swabbing. Some people just like toload and shoot. I go shooting with a gun that all I have to do is load and shoot and I get bored fast. There's not enough for me to do. I can have all my shooting done in 15 minutes that way. With my ML I'll go and shoot for a few hours and have fired 15 or 20 shots max. I get just as much enjoyment out of the loading process as I do the shooting.

Edit: Don't know why it double quoted on me. [&:]