HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best prairie dog rifle?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 12:21 PM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default Best prairie dog rifle?

Okay, I went out the other day to help a co-worker out with a prairie dog infestation that he is having a problem with. He has about 100 on about 50 acres out of his 640 acres but is wanting to keep them from spreading any further.

I went out a few evenings ago and tried to work them with my Ruger 10/22 and wasn't very successful. I feel good out to about 50 yards with the .22 and they just don't let you get that close. I stalked a few and am pretty sure I hit a few, but they were all able to get back in their holes even if I did hit them.

I've been looking around and I could pick up a Marlin 917 .17 HMR bolt action rifle for $208 at academy ($298 for a stainless laminate version) and from looking around this would be able to reach out to 100 to 150 yards and I was routinely able to get that close to them before they ran for their holes. I could probably pick up a cheap scope and get it all setup for $500 or so.

Not sure I want to spend that much to have a rifle that is just good for prairie dogs.

Any tips or tricks to get within 50 yards of the prairie dogs so I could use my 10/22?

If I get the .17 HMR should I get rid of my 10/22 as they are used for about the same thing but the .17 HMR is better?

Is the Marlin 917 a good choice? How much is .17 HMR ammo and what is the best choice for shooting prairie dogs at 100 yards?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Nathan