HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where Would You Hunt?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 AM
WARedBear
Fork Horn

Default Where Would You Hunt?

Here is an aerial view...

Map is aligned with North up. There are fields to the south and a mountain with public hunting to the north. The red line is about where the old logging road is that we walk in from the west. A friend of mine has permission to hunt this private property. He took me out there Tuesday night to set-up a camera. We walked around to get a lay of the land. When we walked up to the right of the clearing I noticed a grassy area (dark blue) to my left down in the thick brush. There is a small water crossing (dried at the present) where the light blue dot is and crosses the road there and goes down through the dark blue area and out into the open field. I liked what I saw so I turned off into this area when we came back down. The light blue dot is where a bear had torn apart an old log. There was bear scat all over the area in HUGH piles. They are the largest piles of scat I have ever seen. We walked down the drainage to the dark blue area and all the grass was laid down with bedding spots (I'm assuming deer) all around. Hope this makes sense..
Now the questions? Where would you put up a stand? At the top where the blue dot is? Along the southern edge of the bedding area between the road and the grass? Or at the edge of the field to the west? Or maybe further down the tree line? At what times would you hunt this area (morning, afternoon)? I'm going to see if I can talk my new hunting buddy into placing his camera just off the road to see what is using the area and at what times.

There are also serious game trails cutting the logging road from the south and going north where we walked in. This is the area to the west of the red line. I'm guessing there might me either water or bedding areas down in the valley to the north. Would this be a good area to set-up an ambush stand? Morning or Afternoon?

Thanks for any suggestions and I will try to answer any questions you might have about the area.