HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lost Hunting Land & Lost Hunting Kids
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lost Hunting Land & Lost Hunting Kids

I used to work as a land surveyor when I was fresh out of college. Had to quit it because I got sick of all the beautiful country that I'd go into and measure up just to watch it get chewed up by bulldozers for housing developments.

The little town I live in was pretty darned countrified when I moved here 10 years ago. We had a Sonic drive-in and an Ace Hardware, and that was IT. Now we've got a super wally world, 2 major shopping centers, a 16 screen movie theater, all kinds of pizza places, a junior college, hospital....

Our club's range was out in the sticks until a few years ago. Now, where we only had one house across the street, we've got 6 and a whole segment of our range is now unusable due to safety concerns.

If I was king, I'd make it a requirement that for each acre of new development a developer wanted to do, he'd do at least one acre of inner city re-development.

Habitat loss is a disaster, not just for animals and nature. Not just for hunters and fishermen either. It's a disaster for everyone, even the little yuppie anti's who buy those houses they're building in all that new development.

Parents that are too d*mned lazy to take their kids hunting and fishing... not much you can do about that other than offer to take their kids along when you take your own kids.