HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .243 for whitetails
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 AM
zrexpilot
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .243 for whitetails

Glad to see so many happy .243 shooters. I mysef have been using one for about 25+ years. No problems killingdeer. It is one of the best calibers around and will make the top 10 if not the top 5 calibers for deer hunting. Its stood the test of time and has put other calibers to rest.
Most all .25's died to this caliber, the .25-06 is the only surving .25. As others have said a whitetail wouldnt know the difference between it and a 30-06. Put it behind the shoulder and you'll have a dead deer every single time. I dont care how big the whtetail is, it will not run far after being shot with the .243. The .243 for some reason makes mush of internal organs, every deer I have shot and gutted, the internals looked like soup.
The.243 is built off the .308 case which inherintely makes it accurate. The .308 case has spawned some awsome calibers and everyone of them seems to be super accurate. In my circle of friends I have conevrted about 5 people into using the .243 as there main whitetail gun. It has all the killing power of much larger guns with half the recoil. Most all states put the .243 as the minimum rifle for elk hunting. It has no problems on deer.
Wide selection of fairly cheap ammo. It shoots 70 gr to 100 gr very accuratley. So coyotes to deer using the same gun is awsome. They do make 55 gr ammo for it but I hear accuaracy falls off because of the wrong rate of twist for this small bullet.
I highly recommend the .243.