HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Grunting
Thread: Buck Grunting
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 03:04 PM
titleist

Default RE: Buck Grunting

I'm glad this was posted. This was my first season of bowhunting, but I've been hunting whitetails for 16 years. I have never heard a grunt in the woods or have seen a buck in the distance respond possitively to when I grunted. I always thought it was because it was past peek rut by the time gun season came around. This year I saw more bucks in one bowseason than I probably saw in the last 10 gun seasons. Most of them of course were too far away. I did start to try and grunt some of them in to no avail. It was counterproductive if anything. I thought I totally screwed myself after making a couple run off. I finally decided to forget about the grunts and rattling and do exactly what David said. I really concentrated on my position, stillness, and patience. I took a chance on moving a stand half way through the seaon which I'm not overly excited about, but it payed off. I went to a different location and practiced the above methods without the grunting and rattling and within 4 days passed on 3 smaller bucks and harvested my first buck with a bow. Maybe it comes with experience ?? i don't know i'll be interested to see the rest of the responses, but next season I'm leaning towards finding the proper location and being quiet and patient.

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.