HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what size tractor to buy?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 11:20 AM
NorthJeff
Typical Buck

Default RE: what size tractor to buy?

For my needs, after a lengthy research process, I ended up with a Kubota L4610. HST,4x4,Curtis hard-cab, FEL, PTO Broadcaster, 6' boxblade, 6' Tiller, and just recently, a 6' Rottary Cutter. I have created about 2.5 acres, just with the tractor, pushing down 30' spruces, tameracks, jack pine, white pine, and then leveling with the boxblade. I could have used more power at times, but have been very, very, happy with the combo. I need, and have used, the entire power range of the FEL, but after talking at great length, I am on the bare minimum size for use of an effectively weighted disk. Last year I spread about 8 tons of lime with the tractor, and about 15 tons over the past 2 years. You only need about 6 to 7 acres of food plots for an entire sqare-mile, so concentrate on quality, not quantity. Lime, fertalize, soil-tests-do it right, or not at all.

Go to www.tractorbuynet.com. They are the experts on tractors, and there is more information than you need on that site for all of your tractor buying needs. Give it a try.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan