HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shoot Don't Shoot scenario "The Quickie Mart"
Old 08-16-2007, 10:54 PM
kdvollmer

Default RE: Shoot Don't Shoot scenario "The Quickie Mart"

I tossed this question to a friend of mine that is a cop this past year while at the shot show since I carry EVERYWHERE i go. You can shoot this scumbag in this situation because you are STOPPING a violent felony in progress. You only have to believe that Fred's life was in danger. I was told, as a person with a CCW, you have a moral obligation in THIS situation to stop it.
#2) many states, To include michigan i believe, have passed laws that state you do not have to retreat this situation. You can stand your ground. Because you are already in the store, you are part of this situation. If you were outside the store, you may not get the red carpet treatment for going in and shooting though. If you are outside the store, you need to be calling the police first.
As soon as bad guy turns in your direction, gun in hand, there should be no question, drop his butt. Remember this if nothing else if you are ever in this situation. "I was scared for my (and or Fred's) life. I have never been more scared than I was right then." If this bad guy is willing to break the law and rob a store at gun point, then you have to believe that he will use it. Are you willing to gamble with your life, or the life of somebody else that this criminal won't shoot.
In most states deadly force is authorized if you believe that your life, or the life of another person is in immenent danger. (remember the above statment... I was scared.......)
Not sure who said it, you shoot this scumbag to wound him, unfortunatly, in alot of places he can sue you, and even though he was pointing a gun at the store owner, or you, he can sue you in civil court. Check your local laws on this. There are a few great states that do not allow these suits to happen. You always shoot to kill him. 2 reasons, 1) I think we all have been taught since we all started shooting, you never point a gun at a person unless you are prepared to kill them. NEVER..
2) If you kill him, your one side of the story carrys more weight since it is the only side told.

Hope that this helps some and doesn't confuse too much.