HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Home Made Airgun for small game, birds and fishing
Old 08-16-2007, 08:14 AM
iamdeathtodeer

Default RE: Home Made Airgun for small game, birds and fishing

ORIGINAL: Higgy15jh

Who cares... the gun is AWSOME!. lol. About how much do you have in it? Im interested in making one. Thanks

Also... where do you get the supplies, can you get them at a local hardware store such as lowes?
In a nutshell, no. The iron and steel pipe that lowes sell is only rated to 150 psig. Now, while burst pressure is far greater than the rated pressure, what if you take it higher and have a defective part that can only handle the 150 advertised?
Find a store(use yellowbook) that sells hydraulic parts. They are much thinner, but much stronger. Plus, with hydraulic fittings you dont even have to weld it b/c the threads are also rated quite high.

Hey chaos, I'm hoping to build an over-under based on the kel-tec su-16, w/ the guns 'gas tube' as the chamber. I can get 9000 psi rated parts, so what do you think about heating pre-compressed 400 psi or so gas to increase pressure? Yeah I'm gonna need high temp o-rings but a propane torch should get pressure to at least 3000, right? Or I'll use co2, that has even greater heat expansion capabilities.

I'm gonna pressure test the whole thing to 10,000 with hydraulic oil first, though.