HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - short bows, curves/lb
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Lilhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default short bows, curves/lb

I am kind of curious. Beprepn's post and a friend of mine with a old bear bow, super short thing recently surfacing. Why the trend for the shorter bows?

I hear it I would say 1 of 2 times I go to shoot my bow is to long but yet find myself very comfortable from treestands, sitting crosslegged on the fanny, stalking, and still hunting with a 68" bow. I do feel with my draw in most bow designs a 66"er would be perfect for performance to drawlength ratio.

People talk of brush bows for longbows....I could see the vantage of a super short bow in willows chasing rabbits/hares but dont see it overall. Even then though I do quite well with my old 68" 60lb excaliber Doug Knight Longbow chasing the big white hares of the north. Reason being is most of us "set up" a shot regardless of how we hunt. A successful bowhunter of any kind, stalker, still hunter, tree stand, or blind style is aware of whats around them at all times. We are constantly looking for game and how a situation may play itself out. We stalk, place stands, blinds, in scenerios that allow us to shoot the way we need to.

Most on the curves side seem to sit around 58, 60 or 62" depending on bow design and draw length.

That said the allegany Mt bow, shrews, and a myriad of other "brush" bows (longbows and recurves), are they worth it? other then mobility (which I see very little of without a drastic length diff) what is to gain? I do see a gain in shooting a "shorter" bow, but not a short bow due to draw length and bow design (dl to bow design ratio if you will). To long for the draw and you are loosing performance, to short, you are loosing stability but just how much is it?

I guess I am just trying to get a good idea after reading bowyers comments and ads on brush bows and posts around the internet on short bows in general. Whats your thoughts.............