HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking to change ammo..Need some advice
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 AM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking to change ammo..Need some advice

I asked myself the same question about 10-12 years ago, only difference was I was using a .243...I had used CoreLokts for about 15 years and had killed about 75 deer with...So I went on a mission, to see if there was a "better" bullet for whitetails...

I killed 7-8 deer with the following bullets:
Remington Premium 100gr SPBT
Federal Premium Sierra GameKing 100gr SPBT
Federal Premium Nosler Partition 100gr SPBT
Federal Premium Sierra GameKing 85gr HPBT
Federal Classic Sierra Pro-Hunter 100gr SP
Winchester Supreme PowerPoint 100gr SP
Winchester White Box PowerPoint 100gr SP
Nitrex GrandSlam 100gr SP
Hornady Custom 100gr InterLokt

They all did the job, worst bullet Remingtom Premium 100gr...It grouped beautifully, but drilled right through a deer and left a small (nickle sized) exit hole...This is the only bullet that I ever used in my .243 where a deer went over 100 yards, I had 2 do this, I did find them because I had a decent blood trail...Fortunately Remington discontinued this bullet...

Bullets that did well...Hornady Custom 100gr, Federal Premium 100gr Nosler Partition, Federal Pemium 100gr Sierra GameKing SPBT and surprisingly (to me)...Federal Premium 85gr Sierra GameKing HPBT...

In the end......I went back to CoreLokts, they did as good as any...Killed 5 more deer with them last year.