HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fallow deer!
Thread: Fallow deer!
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 PM
BowHunterFett
Fork Horn

Default Fallow deer!

There is a fallow deer hanging around an area that I hunt. It is a doe, and it has the coolest spots and colorations on it. I saw it last fall, at the end of season. I never had a chance to shoot it, but it did allow me to walk within 10 feet of it 2 times, once when it was in a cattle lot feeding, and the other when I was shed hunting, both times it just stood there, almost ignoring me, or not caring I was there. It just walked away slowly when I got that close, never ran. It is really neat. I think if I worked at it, I could get it to eat out of my hand. I have no idea where it came from, but it is by no means "wild". From reading the regs, I can legaly shoot it, 1-it is a deer, and with a valid "deer hunting license", it is fair game. 2- It is not a native animal to the united states and is not protected. 3- I can see no visible tags, brands, or other markings of the sort on it. I am conflicted though. it is really neat to see and watch, but it would be neat to get the whole hide tanned, and hang it on the wall. Plus I hear that the taste good! I can't make up my mind as to whether or not to take her or not. I guess I have a few weeks to decide. But I just hope she stays on my hunting place, so she is "safer", atleast until I decide what to do! Just thought I would share this, it is very exciting. What do you all think?