HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - For those that don't think location or numbers matter
Old 08-10-2007, 11:12 AM
statjunk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

It think the primary issue here isn't location. It is perception of large racked deer. When someone sees a large rack deer on a wall they think wow that must be a good hunter. There is however much less correlation than most would think. That is Atlas's argument. At least that's what I think.

I don't put deer on the wall and I don't keep racks, in all honesty I've only shot one deer that would have been worthy. I do keep pics however. If a rack hunter were to look at my pic collection they'd likely think I wasn't a good hunter. I have on two seperate occaisions chosen to take a doe over buck for the tenderness of the meat. Does taking fewer bucksmake me a bad hunter? This is a case of perception isn't reality.

For you guys that point out that Atlas should keep being happy to shoot the button buck. That is a bit immature. A button buck is a legitamite target. There is no reason in my book to be selective about a button buck vs a 1 year old doe etc... That is of course as long as you have a good balance of male to female deer to keep the population going.

Tom