HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 08:09 AM
burniegoeasily
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Or maybe the bucks in your area don't like to eat your farmer Friends beans. I see no reason for you to place limits on what others shoot on land that you presently don't own.
This is what really bothers you, bawana, isn't it (that I don't own the land)? You have no idea of my relationshipwith the landowner. I've been friends with him for longer than I've been hunting his land. I hunt there and his family DOESN'T. I mow his family cemetery that abutts my property. I take him things form the garden. I help him mow the land. I helped him build one of his sheds. I ride his grandaughter on the ATV. I've offered to pay the taxes on the land.

I do these things....not because I hunt there....but because he's a man I admire.

So....even though your constant reference to land ownership has nothing to do with the scenario......I have the landowner's permission to hunt it as I see fit. He's told me he feels better knowing I'm there looking out for his interests.....and if it were for sale (at this time or any time in the future).....it's well-known that I am interested.

Again, though....NOTHING to do with the scenario.
Yes I see land ownership as the biggest threat to hunting as we know it. in many areas it is impossible to find any where to hunt & the only way to reverse this trend is for hunters to buy land & respect others whom already do. What You are doing is no different than western states that charge outlandish fees for out of state hunters who are hunting land that the general public owns.Its supply and demand. You have something others don't , and that is permission , plain and simple. Some would call this blackmail.
We as hunters expect others to all have the same expectations & goals which is just ridicules. Time restraints ,family and other responsibility's prevent most from spending the time & money it takes to enjoy a complete season .
If a guy I was hunting with let the biggest buck of his life walk because I told him it was off limits to all but myself It would not be something I would be very proud of.That saidanyone that is hunting with me has a chance at a legal deer and is successful we will party till the cows come home. If it's got spots ,three legs and is blind in one eye. or a twenty inch ten point I'm buying the beer.[8D]

Uncle SAM sets enough rules for meand I'm not adding to his list.[]
The old days are gone. When I was growing up you could always find a farmer who would let you hunt his land. My problem is with the outfitters. Farmers will not let anyone on their land anymore because the almighty dollar has come into play. Hunting is a money making racket and has ruined our ability to find land to hunt. Outfitters buy up the land or lease it out and will not allow any one to hunt with out paying big bucks. I live in the middle of some of the best deer hunting in Texas, but have to drive over an hour to my land just to hunt. Another problem is the lack of respect many hunters have. I use to let people hunt my land. That was until they started leaving trash, tearing up my fences, etc, etc,. I had to be a jerk and only let my family and friends hunt it. I really have no poblem with outsiders hunting my land as long as they respect it, but that has not been the story. I have had to go with the policy of only friends and family. I always get the "Cabelas, big city hunters" offering large amounts of money to come and hunt my land. I refuse. I dont like the idea of rapping my passion for a dollar. Besides, I like to let my poor friends hunt it instead of Mr. Money Bucks. Lets face it, hunting has become all about money to many and has forced manyland owners tohold onto their only places to hunt in fear of never getting a crack at others property. A persons land is his, and should not be told how to utilize it. If one was offering others the chance to thin does, exclusively, then they should respect that. If I invite some one to my land, I let them shoot what they want, with little exception, but that is my right to do so.I have limited people on my land before. I had some guys come and ask to dove hunt on my land. I told them they could fill their limit and thats it. I limited them to one side of my property that I do not bow hunt much. I left and later that evening I went out to check on things and these guys had moved to every inch of my land. Shot well over their limit, and stunk up my favorite deer hunting spot. This was a few days before season opened. That was when I said, "enough is enough". That was when I went with the, friend and family policy.