HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 AM
wis_bow_huntr
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tricks that you use when field judging whitetails?

Why do you think its so hard to judge a yearling and a mature doe apart. The ears are the same size. I never use ear size as a reference point. I use the face. The longer and darker the face, the older the deer. Also I use the stomach bow, the more drop in a deer a deers stomach the older the deer may be. As for field judging bucks, I just guess, Ive seen enough bucks to be able to rough estimate and tell the difference between a 130 class buck and a 150 class buck.

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

You were using the ears and eyesas reference to judge mature whitetails , I have read in one of those hunting books that when they'er born , there ears and eyes will be the same size as to when they get older.
So even if this were true (which I dont believe the ears bit and I am skeptical about the eyes) would those not be accurate refrence point? An inch and a half is still and inch and a half right? Seven inches will still be seven inches......