HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tricks that you use when "field judging" whitetail antlers?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:57 AM
buckeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tricks that you use when field judging whitetails?

Obviously copied from a book or some such place. I want you to tell me at 30 yards a deers eye is 1 1/2 inches. I want you to tell me that the ear is 7-8 inches and not 6 3/4. I go by mass, length of snout, width or horns to ears, body size and belly hang. I don't have time to figure out if something is 1 1/2 inches at 30 or 100 yards. I really doubt you can do that either.
Sorry bro, this was not taken from a book. I took these measurements at my buddies taxidermy studio a couple years ago ona fewof the kills he got in for theyear. I measured probably 20 some mature whitetails to come up with these figures. Has someone ever published something similar? That I don't know.... I wanted to take the measurements to aid me in field judging deer while I was summer glassing and videoing.

I do a lot of summer glassing and going over trail cam photos and these are references that I use. You also must have missed the "aprox",I was using thatshort for approximately killer. Go find someone else's thread to go piss in, you don't care about score blah blah blah, guess what? I do. Score is not the final word in if an animal is "worthy" of my arrow but I like to know what I am shooting at. Thats just me though..... You keep on shooting them and sorting them out after the fact.

In case you missed this part in the original post I will highlight it so maybe you will catch it this time.......

I wanted to see what you guys use as reference points when field judging mature whitetail bucks antlers(that's if there is time to break them down EX summer scouting or game cam pics etc.).... If you use any other tactics than I use, post em up. I stress the reference points are for deer in my area... Your deer may be different.
[/align]