HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Windwalker7
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

GMMAT,

I'm not sure how long you have been archery hunting but I suspect it hasn't been very long. I'm not trying to be a smart allic when I say this but you are learning the hard way.

One thing you will learn quickly is that there are many, many guys out there that will take advantage of you. They might be friends, coworkers, brothers, cousins, etc...it doesn't matter. There are just those that will take advantage of a good hunting spot and you.

They'll sneek in your areas when you can't hunt. They'll bring friends to your area that you didn't invite. They'll break self imposed rules that they agreed to earlier. They'll poach deer. They'll hunt out of your stand. They'll purposely try to get deer to avoid your stand. They'll tell everyone where you hunt. They'll blab about the big buck you saw. etc...etc...etc...

Your best bet is to keep that place to yourself, son and very true friends. Do your best to solve the doe problem with those few people.

Inviting too many guys will ruin your hot spot. Trust me.

I've had it happen several times. I realize you are just trying to be friendly and unselfish by inviting these guys.It will just lead to problems if they hunt. You already know that by the feeling you are having in your gut right now.

It is tuff to try to be a nice guy and then to find out that you were taken advantage of. Take back the invitation and don't feel guilty about doing it.

Just learn that when you have a good spot, it is better to just keep quiet about it.