HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I am not being a smart a--
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 AM
tsoc
Nontypical Buck

Default I am not being a smart a--

We all have our beliefs about what we shoot and why.I think we all have mental or cultural justifications that leads to what we find as acceptable.I think that many people have no problem killing animals of a certain age because of their physical size.If a juvenile is of similar size as an adult there seems to be less negativity associated with killing it,both by ourselves as hunters and also by the non-hunting public.
A good example would be bears,very few hunters would intentionally kill a bear in it's second year,because it is so much smaller than an adult.
Very few hunters intentionally kill fawns.An African Duiker could be 900 years old and I wouldn't have a desire to kill it.I don't eat veal,probably more for the way veal calfs are treated,but I know a good part of it has to do with their size and maturity.I know that at a later part in their life I will be gladly throwing them on the grill.
If a 14 year old was 6' 2" and 250 pounds of chisled muscle,would we want them in the NFL or in the boxing ring as the opponent of a heavy weight champ? How much does the challenge/sport element come in to play versus the pure meat in the freezer food element?
I am not looking for any debate here,just want to know how folks relate to what I am talking about.