HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I want a back quiver
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I want a back quiver

I've tried all kinds of quivers. I like back quivers but they do have their drawbacks for hunting. Going under low hanging limbs and getting strangled by the strap when the arrows get hung up, for instance. Although, going by the formula Bob talked about helps ease that problem quite a bit by letting the arrows ride lower. But then, when your shoulders get a little older and not as flexible, they can be harder to reach.

With hip quivers, the kind like bow quivers but hanging on the hip, you tend to shed arrows as you're going through heavy brush. Getting through the brush only to find you've got an empty quiver and arrows with sharp broadheads waiting on you to find them on the way back through... Not my idea of a fun thing to do.

I've settled on the plains indian style quiver as my favorite, I think. It's a tube like a back quiver, only on a long strap. It rides over your shoulder and hangs at an angle by your hip. Easy to get to your arrows. Not as much movement required to pull an arrow out. You can maneuver around with it and hug it into your body going through the thick stuff. And it's quiet. I really can't think of any shortcomings with this type of quiver except it lacks the Robin Hood mystique. Of course, it's got the Crazy Horse mystique instead.

Edit: I'd lost this bookmark but this topic got me enthused about finding it again. Got plans for a homemade Cat Quiver on the site also.

http://frugalarcher.tripod.com/plainsqvr.html

Edit #2: If you want to make a trial version to see whether or not you like it before laying out money on the leather for it, make one out of an old pair of jeans. Actually, you can use the other leg off the same pair to make a back quiver to try out. Of course, you don't want to be toting broadheads in a denim quiver, but it's great for field points and blunts.