HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Effect of shortening string and cable
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 02:42 PM
JOE PA
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Effect of shortening string and cable

I have done this to two bows, that is, experiment with reducing or increasing the axle to axle length by using shorter or longer string/cable sets. I will spare you the details, but I found that with the first bow, a 40" a to a bow, the draw weight increased approx. 10 pounds for every inch I shortened the string and cables. There was not a large increase in draw length with this size bow, but it increased a bit since the brace height increased. The draw length increased slightly less than the brace height however. With the second bow, I actually started with the shorter axle length, 34" originally, which is what I determined I needed to get the 7+" brace that I wanted. The cams on that bow barely started turning at 75#! Too much for me. I ended up lengthening the bow to 36" axle to axle and the brace height also dropped to
6 1/4". The draw weight dropped from 75+ to 65, but that was with the limb bolts backed out a good bit. I obtained other limbs, and now the draw weight is 62# with the limb bolts bottomed out. The bow has hard cams, so that is enough weight for me. If I tried to increase the brace and reduce the axle length, I am sure the draw weight would increase again. The draw length would probably also be too long for me unless I changed the timing position of the cams which I do not think would be a positive change. ( I don't have access to other modules, since the cams are from an obsolete bow.)

Avoid the inevitable until it is absolutely unavoidable!