HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Youth Hunting
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 03:30 AM
kdvollmer

Default RE: Youth Hunting

I have read, and re-read ebrashears post. I have given thought to this answer and I am still going to throw it out there knowing that it may be a little too much. MY SUGGESTION HERE IS BASED SOLEY ON A RIFLE WITH THE POWER THAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN A RIFLE THAT HAS LITTLE RECOIL AND IS EASY TO SHOOT.

My answer will probably start a it of an uproar, but just a thought.

I don'tknow how much you have to spend, or are willing to. I don't know how old your boy is, or how big he is.
I do know that for about $1400-1500 or so, Armalite builds a Super Bolt Action Rifle in .308, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Lapua Mag. I personally shoot the .338 and it shoots like a .243. Very managable. It is a bit heavy though. I have friends that have the same in the .308 and the .300 and they tell me it is like shooting a .223 BECAUSE THIS HAS SUCH A MILD RECOIL, i AM RECOMENDING IT. i KNOW IT OTHERWISE MAY BE TOO BIG FOR HIM IN THE FIELD. IT MAY NOT BE, I REALLY DON'T KNOW.

***this rifle does not look like your traditional hunting rifle.***
**designed to be Armalite's premier hunting rifle though**

Like I said, this is a little heavy, 12 lbs maybe with out scope, and sling...but a nice shooting rifle.this is a Rifle that will be shot better off a bipod, orshooting stick due to its size.It is exceptionally accurate right out of the box, and the trigger is adjustable without too much effort. I only reccomend it because you can get it with a big bullet and little recoil so you don't get that bad habit flinch. You get this from a superior muzzle brake

I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHER, BETTER CHOICES,but,this is just something maybe to look at.

Check the link below. The Model is the AR 30

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles.htm