HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting in Colorado?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Howler
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting in Colorado?

1) there are better places if you have preference points. If you don't have nay preference points, I'd suggest in the future that you start applying for them so that someday you guys can hunt the better quality units. Otherwise, there are elk in all the mountain units, it's jsut a matter of learning where they like to hang out.

2) ATV's are allowed on established roads/trails and they must be registered. Even if they are on a trailer but not registered, you can still be fined. I know two guys that this happened to.

3) the size of your pack depends on how comforatble you want to be and how healthy you are. Generally, the bigger the pack that aguy buys, the more crap he'll tend to "need". First, decide what you think you will need and buy a pack accordingly. Keep in mind, IF you kill, you will probably be needing a good frame pack to carry out the meat, unless you hire that to be done, which is a possiblity.

4) if you're worried about being comfortable, better just plan on camping near a road and set up a comfortable wall tent and hike in and out of the hunting area.

5) good bino's will do, unless you're wanting to score a trophy before pursueing it.

6) some wet wipes come in handy, TP, smoe other snacks like maybe trail mix, and if you're confident that you're going to kill, good game bags.

7) jerky, gatorade powder which might help you drink more and drink more often, high altitude makes a guy dehydrate quicker.

I'm sure some other guys will add to the list.