HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wanting to move to Trad, but sooo many ?s.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 PM
BobCo19-65
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wanting to move to Trad, but sooo many ?s.

As far as what type to choose, it's really a personal thing. Some people want to just shoot longbows and there is nothing wrong with that. Seems like most though make the transition to a recurve from a compound somewhat better. I think it is mainly do to the way it is held.

As far as headaches with tuning, don't expect any for a while. You'll only be able to tune as good as you shoot and your form will take a while to develope. I'd say get the recommended arrow for the bow you choose and set your knock about 1/2" above 90 degrees and just shoot.

I'd say to get something decent used in the 45# at your draw area, either a longbow or recurve. I'd also advise not to go too short for your first one. I'd say 62" minimum for a recurve and about 66" for a longbow. Don't go too heavy. You'll have a hard time developing form if you do. You should alsoexpect to loose about 1 1/2" of draw length when moving from compounds to traditional. The nice ting about a used bow is that it should not depreciate much if you decide you don't like it or want to try another style.

Hope that helps.