HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cornfield tactics
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 08:01 AM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cornfield tactics

ORIGINAL: WoodsStealth

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Find out when they are going to harvest the corn and be ready to adjust quickly when they do. If the corn is still standing when you start hunting don't be surprised do see deer movement almost any time of the day. Find some of the areas the deer will usually fliter into the field from and post up around therewith the wind in your favor and be prepared to spend a couple of hunts just doing some recon.Also, between the corn and water asourceis often a good location early seasonas well. Once the corn is cut the deers comfortlevel usually drops. They will hit the corn hard after it is cutbutdon't be surprised if they go back to early morning late evening feeding.
You know what would surprise me? If you actually knew what you were talking about...........thats what would surprise me. "don't be surprised if you see deer movement almost anytime of the day" Tell me Mr. Tigger Suit" instead of a whole paragraph wouldn't a simple,
Deer like to feed early and late in tall or freshly cut corn.
As far as between the corn and a water source, its not like we hunt in the dessert, there are too many sources of water available to make a difference in stand selection. Game trails are the best indication of the routes the deer use to acess the corn.
WellI didn't expect to read a response like this on a seemingly innocent thread. But For boredoms sake I will humor you. From my experience (you know, in the area "I" hunt) If the corn is still standing the deer will often bed in it so often you can catch them cruising the corn at almost any time. As far as water sources, in the first or second week of September (and even later) the temps get in the upper 80's low 90's quite frequently, and one of my best stand has always been located a couple 100 yards off the corn atone of the most shallow/flat creek crossings(water source). Game trails are a good way to tell the deers routes to the corn or any other field almost to the point that it goes without saying. The poster asked for Cornfield Tacttics, I posted a couple I use and have had success with, if it doesn't apply to his area or help him in anyway I'm sure he will disregard it.