HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what to look for when buying hunting land
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Red Lion

Default RE: what to look for when buying hunting land

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i am planing to buy some hunting land this winter or early spring
now my plans are kind of givin to any hunter i plan to put in a foodplotand some stands now my question is what do i look for when i go to buy land
1 should i buy next to public hunting woods like fish and wildlife or so on as there are a few large parks near me thatlet you hunt there
2 how much land do i get i am thinking a min of about5 maybe up to 10it's cheap enough which were i am at might be possiable is 5 enough it would bejust me maybe a friend or two every so often after i get mine baged first lollol
3 do i buyland with a watersourcejust dig a pond after i buy
4 food plot wise for mainlybow hunting do i wont a lot of woods with littleclearing or the other way aroud and how much food plot do i need to but in to draw those big deer in
any other tips to help me get the best out of my money and time it will take to make it a good spot will help
I have to wait about 5 years to buy my land so envious of you for being closeto buying.
With that said, I think it would be wise to buy as much land as you can afford, butthat does not mean you need hundreds of acres. I guess I would prefer at least 40-50 acres in order to have room to plant, to have options for stands givendifferent wind directions among other things.
Having land off of state/public land is what I will look to do,but it likely has pluses and minuses. Plus being you, in a way have moreland than just that that you own. Minues being if it, public land is heavily used by others, you may have other hunter coming on your land or at least setting up right next to your land.
If you can get land already having a pond or other water source, great, but you can build one yourself as well.
As far as food plots go, I am far from an expert, but you cando a search on the QDM forum on this site and likely get good info. I have read/heard that even small plots plantedwith the right stuff will attract deer.

Good luck!