HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First turkey
Thread: First turkey
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 10:16 AM
TheformerLives

Default First turkey

Well guys, I surprisingly actually got my first turkey this year. In a state with a 25% success rate I thought that was pretty good for my first try at it. I was lucky enough to get the earliest season though. I went out on public land early in the morning and found good turkey sign and identified where they would most likely roost. So I came back at 6 that evening and sat for and hour and half on the side of an old logging road. I had a decoy about 15yds down the road. I was getting ready to go when I heard rustling leaves behind me as well as some clucking. Soon enough three young jakes showed themselves on the logging road not far from me. They immediatly starting heading straight for the decoy.The first onestepped not 7 feet from me and didn't notice when I drew my gun. And so at 7 feet I harvested my first turkey, a jake with a 5" beard. I plan on going back out this fall. I've got permission to hunt on private land this time that hasn't been turkey hunted in over 6 years. Im pumped!

Anyone else have a 'first turkey' story to share?