HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many don't use a kisser anymore?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: How many don't use a kisser anymore?

Whether or not a kisser orpeep fits you properly is in part dependent on whether or not the bow fits you properly.

Justlast weekmy senior tech saw me finally setting up a new bow for myself for the upcoming hunting season. He watched me for days adjusting each and every form issue and device and checking both grouping andhow much timeto get the shot off.

I got to a point where he thought I was shooting great but I still wasn't satisfied. I could shoot the left-handed bow better right-handed than left-handed. When shooting it right-handed I could shoot excellent groups; but, the left-handed groups were slightly 'off' and I struggled more to achieve a lesser group.

He then was shocked at what I did next. I put a 1/2" shorter module on the bow and "WOW" is all he could say. The left-handed group on the left-handed bow improved dramatically and shooting the left-handed bow right-handed was even slightly better. I mention this because this is just another advantage of shooting from either side.

But to the point in question. The kisser, which I use as a nose button for hunting because I wear a face mask, is just one of those items that has to fit with the rest of the 'system.' In my case I'm going from a 38" ata bow to a 34" ata bow and the geometry change is quite different. The string angle, release style, peep angle, and other things all have to be taken into consideration or one item can cause headaches.

After all the time and preliminaryset-up, the bowseemed to be 'right'; but,it was a small change in draw length that finally made it come together. I probably could have gotten away with a 1/4" DL change, but the modules only come in 1/2" changes. I know, I could play with the string/cables to get that 1/4", but I just don't have the time to fool with that. I've got to get customers' bows out the door.

Ps And I know what my draw length should be on a 38" ata bow. The string angle and related issues of a 34" ata can have eye-opening effects.