HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - elk calls
Thread: elk calls
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 08:49 AM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: elk calls

My experience calling bull elk is limited. I have had success though. I purchased elknuts videos and found them to be a wealth of knowledge. Its nice to get insight into what you are trying to sound like.

I equate it to turkey calling because I have extensive knowledge of that sport being from missouri. I know a ton of people can make better turkey calls than me, but I some how always get my birds to come in. I believe that its because I make the right sound at the right time. I'm not just out there making noise to hear myself. You have to be able to read the birds. Elk are very similar.

My dilema was that I'm not from the part of the country where I could learn the nature of the beast. I was up against it. I purchased the videos and watched them obsessively prior to my hunts. I picked up on some key voices and some "tells" to listem for to key me into what the bull was listening for. It worked on both my trips. Maybe it was luck. Maybe it was the fact that I paid an outfitter to get me into the "back country" where pressure was less. Or maybe it was a slight amount of skill that closed the deal. But, most likely it was a combination of all three.

Learn the language or at least some of the language. Use what skills you have to play the wind, get in close, and try to be higher than your quarry. Try to hunt where the pressure is lightest. And lastly you have to get a bit lucky!

2004 300" 6x6

2005 320" 6x6

Dad's 2005 300" 6x5