HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - wy antelope area 6
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
game4lunch

Default RE: wy antelope area 6

Never hunted 6 . . . BUT, here's the deal. Antelope are everywhere in Wyoming. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. So it's not like there's some secret honey hole like whitetails or turkey. They will be right next to the highway as you are driving in. Not that that makes them easy to harvest. Quite the contrary. They scatter as soon as they see orange and your truck shuts off.

What I suggest you do is find public lands to hunt on. I don't know what you know about hunting out here, but that is usually the big question. You have several options. First, get a BLM map of that area (southern Weston County, WY). That will show you property ownerships. White is private, blue is state, yellow is BLM and green is National Forrest. You can hunt all of them except of coarse the private. (If the land is publicly accessible!)But don't hesitate driving up to a ranch house and asking them if you can hunt goats. Most ranchers are happy to get rid of them. They eat their crops and tear up fences. And the landowner gets $13.00 from the G&F if you harvest one.
Now, the G&F does have a program whereprivate lands are huntable called Walk-In Areas and Hunter Management Areas. Not much if any in your area. But there are BLM, Nat'l Forrest, and state sections you can hunt. And again, ask the landowner. All they can do is either say yes or no. You drew a tough area because of the size and limited public access.
You might try getting in touch with the Pinedale chamber. I know some offer lists of cooperative landowners that may not be listed in the Walk-in areas. They may want to charge a trespassing fee also. I'd pass.
Take a day or two to just drive around, follow your BLM map, find some of these public areas, and drop one. The season starts Oct 1 so you will still be in on the tail end of the rut. Goats eat, drink, and make babies. Go to alfalfa pivots near water and BAM! Down they go.
One last thing, you may be able to pick up one or two leftover type 6 tags (doe/fawn) at a local sporting goods store (Newcastle).
Good luck . . . and good hunting.