HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - tuning broadheads?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: tuning broadheads?

Man, I remember years back carefully struggling to get my broadheads lined up with my fletch. What a waste of time.

Broadhead tuning for me, is first carefully pickign out my arrows for straightness. Then carefully pickin out ones for consistent spine. I do this paper tuning generally. I then spin test with broadhead to make sure there is no wobble whatsoever. After that, I shoot at 40-50 yards 3 field tip one and 3 broadheaded ones. I want them to hit same POI. If BH's hit high I raisemy nocking point 1/32" or so at a time. If they hit low, I raise. If they hit left, I first will try to move my rest slightly, and if that doesn't work, I will raise my poundage by 2lbs or so. If BH's hit right of my field points, I again try to move my rest, and if that doesn't work I lower my poundage 2lbs or so.

90% of the time, if I have paper tuned real well first, I only have to make very slight adjustments BH tuning. And when I go back to paper, it still shoots bullet holes. If you have a bad spined arrow, bad matched spined arrow combo, or not tuned to begin with or a wobbly BH, all bets are off. You have to start at the beginning.