HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Alabama's 3-buck limit!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 05:02 PM
manuman

Default RE: Alabama's 3-buck limit!!!!

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: manuman

I personally don't like the pressure that the trophy only mentality is exerting to make everyone conform to their mind set.
..... and I think it's said that folks won't use their heads so their hands must be forced.

It's time that hunters are held responsible for the badly skewed and out of whack sex ratios and over populations of antlerless animals thatyears of heavy immature buck shooting has resulted in. Your kind of folks complain because of a buck limit or antler restrictions, yet you'd shoot as many yearling basket racks as you could in a season! [&o]

It's time for a change!
Sorry, but you are making a broad, and incorrect assumption. First, my complaint isn't about the limit, and I do not shoot yearlings. I would be glad to compare the numbers I passed last year. The problem is a few being able to press their styles on others. QDM is not what you are clearly advocating. Buck restrictions and doe harvests regs are designed to keep a balance and numbers inline with carrying capcity--all in keeping with QDM. Placing size restrictions --points, spread, etc. is not, and goes from good sense to unnecesarry subjective, and unhealthy restraints that the majority of hunters don't support. Youalready have teh option and right to do so if you wish. Going from QDM to the trophy only mentality removes mnay rights from those who otherwise would still practice QDM, without the added, and unneeded, so far as actually helping the deer herd is concerned. In fact, Onlyremoving the superior bucks, and attempting to achieve a 1-1 buck to doe ratio is not healthy for teh deer herd. Bucks cand and do service multiple does, and the mortality rate among fawns necessitates a highe rnumber of does within the herd. When the rut comes on, the 1-1 ratio increase buckfight frequencies and intensity, resulting in injuries and deaths tha, otherwise, would not occur. Not to mention--horror upon horror--broken tines, and beams--rendering that buck useless to the trophy only mentality!
If you want to practice it, it is fine and no one is stopping you on your property. I find it unfair to subject teh majority to a minority viewpoint. Educate them on QDM, and let them decide for themselves and seel out like minded clubs if they want to go your route,but leave the option open fo r the rest of us. That way, all can enjoy and encourage others to enjoy our right to hunt, not our right t be forced to follow what only a lesser nimber of individuals choose to do. Imagine telling my 6 year old--'Daddy is going to take you hunting today, but you have to remember that a buck must have a 16' spread, be a least 4 1/2 years old, score a minimum of 130", and you have to be able to score him in seconds in the field, or face teh wrath of the deer police! Wouldn't that be fun!