HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Alabama's 3-buck limit!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 AM
deerhunter72

Default Alabama's 3-buck limit!!!!

First, I want to say that this is my first post here on the huntingnet.com forum so I appologize in advance if I'm in the wrong "Topic" for this type of discussion. (Feel free to point me in the right direction ifthat is the case.)

So, back to business.

I am an AVID hunter / outdoorsman / conservationist here in Alabama (20+ years) and, for my entire hunting career, I have been a hunter who abides by ALL state laws as well assticking tomy beliefs to be a responsible hunter and making decisions that I feel are the most responsible decisions for the health, the numbers and the overall well being of our deer herd. -which, BTW, is the largest, the healthiest, the best ratio in regds. to bucks to does, IN HISTORY! We currently have a huntable (sufficient numbers)and, most importantly,healthy deer herd in every single county, including Jefferson Co.which is where Birmingham and all of the big surrounding cities are located. This is a result of education, responsible hunting, deer managment AS THE LAND OWNERS AND LEASE HOLDERS SEE FIT FOR THEIR PARTICULAR PC. OF PROPERTY.
Also, one of the main points in regds. to this discussion, some of the biggest and highest scoring bucks are being harvested in the state as well. I can vouch for that claim personally based on what I've seen in the woods, at the check stations (for WMA's), and in the back of my truck. (bucks that qualify as "riding w/the tailgate down bucks"... )

Now, the Comissioner of The Dept. of Conservation, Barnett Lawley, (a position that's appointed by the Govenor, and the "advisory board", also appointed by the Govenor on the advise of Barnett Lawley, made up of 9 "professional hunters" (using the term lightly) who just happen to be people who have been successful in the HUNTING AND FISHING BUSINESS and who are known in the state as "big money hunters" who own fenced in ranches w/their own personal biologists, etc... This decision was based strictly on the fact that, and I quote one of the 7 who voted in favor of the limit and even used his own PAID personal biologist as part of "study group" bypassing all of the STATE biologists who DID NOT agree with the 3 buck limit due to the FACT that "Education is already working", w/the exception of two that, ironically, ended up on the "study group". Anyway, his quote was....................."I'm getting bored with seeing 50 does w/only 3 or 4 smaller racked bucks (less than 150 class being "smaller bucks") on my food plots". That statement speaks volumes to me since 90% & change, of the hunters in this state don't have land like these guys and, speaking personally, I've never seen more than 10 deer in a food plot at one time in my life and I am a HARD HUNTER who's had the honor, at times,of hunting some of the best land in the state. Also, every hunter that I talk to infatically deny seeing anything CLOSE to a 20-1 doe to buck ratio anywhere in the state but more like a, being conservative, 5-1 which is a good number in my book.
OK, to get off of my soapbox and end this NOVEL or rants, we, as Alabama's hunters, have been caught with our pants down on this issue because it had already happened before we knew it was even an issue simply due to the fact that we've always supported and had complete trust in our Dept.of Conservation and even the Advisory Board because they, in the past, seemed to acknowledge that they were working FOR US, not making this their "expeimental playground"...It TRULY sadens me that they've forced our hands to fight this and drawn a line in the sand that leaves me and my group no choice but to sharpen our canine teeth against the very people who we considered to be our ALLIES, OUR BROTHERS!!!

So, with that being said, any opinions would be appreciated.

Also, if you want further info.(which needs to exclude hunters w/heart probs. or high blood pressure because it WILL piss you off!) feel free to leave me a request and I will post it on here. (more detailed facts about how this took place and how it was shoved down our throats w/o any say so what so ever.)

Thanks in advance for your patience and I'm glad to be here on the forum.
Deerhunter72