HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we overgunned? Was Jack O'Connor right?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Goodguy

Default RE: Are we overgunned? Was Jack O'Connor right?

I have followed this thread since the first post thinking from the outset it would surely generate a lot of discussion and that no clear winner would emerge. It has been a most interesting read with the varying opinions expressed and rational offered. Some I agree with, others I do not. However, like rednekhunter said; there’s no right or wrong. It depends on what an individual believes is the right gun for the job based on his or her knowledge, experience, style & type of hunting and personal biases. Personally I think the 270 is more than enough for deer, adequate for elk, marginal for moose and inadequate for large bear. I like the 7mm.08 for deer and 300 mag. for moose and I’ve had venison and moose in my freezer for several years running, which proves to me that these are the ideal calibers. Would I trade these two rifles for a 270? Not on your life. Would I criticize a fellow hunter who uses a 270? Not on your life. gg.

"The older a man gets, the farther he had to walk to school as a boy"

Edited by - goodguy on 01/30/2003 15:45:21