HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300Win Mag. Vs. 300 WSM
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
CalNewbie

Default RE: 300Win Mag. Vs. 300 WSM

SwampCollie - the short fat case burns powder more efficiently and is able to generate near magnum power with a lesser amount of powder. The statement "near magnum" is intentional. My recollection of the selling points of the short magnums was you right close to a magnum in power in a lighter short action rifle. Somewhere along the line the "better" discussion took over. IMO there is no "best" rifle; shoot what you like as long as the round is appropriate for the situation.

The WSM's tend to kick a bit more than their magnum counterparts. Yes, you are burning less powder and should have a reduced recoil, but with the shorter cartridge you can have a shorter action and maybe shave an inch off of the barrel. This gives you a lighter rifle which will negate the reduction in recoil. Its one of those "all other things being equal" situations as far as recoil is concerned.Other thingsdon't stay equal, and it kicks more (not tons more)

I do wish that the boxed ammo priced would've dropped more since their introduction. I stocked up when I bought my .270 WSM and haven't seen much price difference in the years since.

The short magnums are a viable choice for reloaders. However, I do recall reading that due to the COAL and powder capacityyou're restricted from loading the longer heavier bullets as they'd go too far into the case.