HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How soon can you eat deer meat?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How soon can you eat deer meat?

Since we've begun processing our own venison, I don't recall the tenderloins making it to the freezer. If we get home late then they are consumed the next day. The tenderloins first then the backstraps. Then whatevery you want. The "tougher" the piece of meat the longer we usually let the age before freezing. We don't have the luxury of letting them age a few days without lots of ice in the cooler unless we're home and have the fridge.
I can understand what you are saying as the climate here is much different....Also the same here with the tenderloins but we still cool them down even if putting them in a fridge. Some have been known to cool the deer down by putting it in cold water as well. Water just doesn't do it for me. But if the weather is to warm quartering and placing in a fridge or cooler will get the body heat out of it.

Ranger I would not hang my deer by the back legs,
Would you if a dog or coyote ate the hind quarters off from it? Or someone came along in the night and stole a hind quarter? It does happen in some places and here is one of them.