HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traditional rifles
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 10:44 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Traditional rifles

QTompkins2005

What traditional rifle would you recommend for a first time traditional shooter.
You really do not say how "Traditional" you want to go... like flint lock, percussion, Round Ball shooter, Conical shooter, &/or sabot shooting...

If you are looking a a true traditional round ball shooter I would recommend a 54 cal... if conical or anything else i would go 50 cal - lot more bullet options...

Myself, I would choose a percussion vs a flint lock but a whole lot of other people would use a flinter...

Twist - if you a shooting PRB's probably need a slow twist 1/66 or even a 1/70 - but do not under estimate the 1/48 twist it really can be a versitile twist. I have really been surprised what my 1/48's can do.

I really do like the Lyman Trade Rifles. I have one in 54 cal 1/48 that is a real good shooter- I am not as fond of the Lyman GPH's only because of the length of the barrel and weight of the gun.

I have a real fascination with the TC Renegade series - very plain-jane efficient, effective gun. I use to have 2 or 3 TC Hawkins but have moved them out in favor of the Renegade.

Good luck in your search...