HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traditional rifles
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 09:13 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Traditional rifles

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

What traditional rifle would you recommend for a first time traditional shooter. The price range is pretty flexible, but nothing rediculous.

[hr]

The idea of a Traditional rifle is hard to judge anymore. There are a lot of them that are stainless steel, composite stocks, etc. If you want a "traditional looking rifle" and want to spend some reasonable money, check auction sites. You can get some Thompson Center Hawkins, or Renegades, with wood stocks for around $250.00. There are Lyman and other maker rifle also.

Lyman also makes some nice traditional rifles. The Trade Rifle, or the Great Plains Rifles. I have a .54 Trade Rifle Flintlock and it is one great shooting rifle... hands down.

Depending on what you want the rifle to do, you can select one with the kind of twist you want. Conicals = 1:32 twist. Roundball = 1:60/66/70 twist. The best of both worlds = 1:48 twist.

Traditions Rifle Co has some low end rifles and then some real high end rifles. I like there Woodsman but even they are getting pricey. CVA also has some lower end rifles such as the Hawkins, and other. Then you should look at Lyman, Pedersolli, Thompson Center, Cabela's Hawkins, and some of the custom rifles.

For instance, right now there is a Thompson Center Firestorm .50 caliber with a 1:48 twist, black composite stock, and in flintlock for sale for $200.00 plus shipping. That would be a lot of fun, and I sure wish someone would hurry up and buy that rifle... I do not need another rifle.

You could then later look for a wood stock or be happy with the weather proof composite stock. It would be real tradition, other then in appearance, shoot shooting, and all the hunting rifle you would probably need.
The TC Firestorm has the added advantage of shooting pellets in a FlintLock. If your from Pennathen ML seasion isFL only. A percussion is more reliable ignition than a FL for most shooters. You must check the rules in your state, some only allow FL, some allow pivot ignition, some allow any type of ignition but BP only, some restrict the bullet to conicals or all lead bullets. Really varies on the rules. As Cayugad said, it is fun and make no mistake even the traditional rifles with open sightsare deadly accurate at <100 yardswith most shooters. Chap Gleason