HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - weak/stiff spline...proper arrow weight, all that good stuff.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: weak/stiff spline...proper arrow weight, all that good stuff.

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

The only chart that I am clearly off is from Gold Tips site. I was just wondering if maybe they over rate their arrows a little to cover their butts. Or am I just really wishing that I could shoot these arrows.
Don't rely on charts - period. See my response on your other post.

Is the main thing with a stiff/weak spline issues with tuning the bow?
Yes, you will find it very difficult to get good broadhead flight with a weak arrow. Since the object of any selection you make on bow or arrow is to get good broadhead flight, hopefully you can see why this is important.

Also, what should my total arrow weight be for a hunting situation?
In my opinion, heavier is better, especially if it's on the front of the arrow (spine issues come into play here also). This kind of weight gives your arrow more stability, better penetration and more bone-breaking capability.

It's important to learn how to tune your arrows. If search doesn't work, just browse through the last several pages of posts - there's tons of recent info written on this. Most bow shops do not properly tune arrows to shoot their best. You have to learn to do it yourself if you want the best results.