HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - my dog bit my daughter...
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
springerDIVA
Fork Horn

Default RE: my dog bit my daughter...

#1 Roxie is a puppy. #2 your daughter and the puppy are "mentally" about the same age. YOU REALLY NEED TO WATCH THIS BEHAVIOR WITH OTHER THINGS. When she is fed you need to be able to put your hand in her bowl, move her food, touch her and let her know you're alpha first. If you can't do this then there's no point putting your child back in the line of fire. Roxie needs rules &limitations, if you can't provide them consistently then she needs to go to a new home with an experienced trainer. Thatbehavior isn't allowed inthe pack by the leaders.

Have you contacted the breeder?

Please tell me you are crate training this puppy.

Next vet appointment I would ask them to do a temperment testing/evaluation or ask a local trainer or reputable breeder (of any breed) or obedience trainer.

At10 wks grab her by the scruff her by the neck and give her a bit of a shake. This is what her dam did when she was with the litter. It's part of establishing the alpha role (you & husband), beta role would be your child (still a leader) and above the dog, who should be in a submissive stage to the child. This is VERY HARD TO ATTAIN with a small child in the home.

I would start her in group obedience classes as soon as possible should you decide to keep her. Once you and hubby get her foundations a bit more solid then teach the child how to handle the dog.

Just like when when handling a weapontreat it like it's loaded until you prove it's safe. Soteach the childthat a dog has teeth and anything closer to it's size he/she sees as equal or competition.

The AKC has a link on their site about kids and dog safety. Teaching kids how to approach dogs, etc.

Good dogs bite too. They start out with small episodes like this as puppies and if not properly trained and handled they can become aggressive.

Your child is more important than the puppy and you don't want her to have a fear of dogs as she gets older.