HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I want to get a TC but which one?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I want to get a TC but which one?

If you have no desire to interchange barrels, take that into consideration. You are paying for that feature, whether you use it or not. Many Encores are purchased because the new owner intends to change out barrels to modern center fire. If this interests you, then the selection gets easier.

If what you want is a "muzzle loader" and have no intentions of changing barrels, then consider the Omega or the Triumph. Now granted the Triumph is a "new model" but it is a big brother of the Omega with the improvements that hunters wanted to see in the Omega but never got. Things like a larger trigger guard for hunting with out removing your gloves, the quick release breech plug, guaranteed 3-3.5 pound factory trigger, and the weather shield coating to make the gun more water proof then ever. I think Thompson Center has a winner. I have not purchased any of the drop block style rifles because the muzzleloaders I have get the job done with ease. My Black Diamond XR will shoot with the best of them.

Another thing to take into consideration is stock design. I am old fashion. The drop down style of the Encore, Pro Hunter, Optima, etc just does not appeal to me. Again, this is a personal preference and I mean no disrespect to the rifle or those that own them. I have shouldered them at stores and granted, I could get used to them and might even like them in time, I just like the straight style of the Omega, Triumph, etc.

All of them rifle will be able to do what you are asking of your rifle selection. There are some excellent sales on Omega's because they are being phased out. Start looking at the on line stores for Omega sales. You might be able to get a stainless steel model with the kind of stock features you like for a price you are more then willing to pay, for such a fine rifle. The Omega is a time tested proven rifle. Kind of hard to beat that.