HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - More Ballistics Testing...
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 05:14 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More Ballistics Testing...

ORIGINAL: n5638b

Okay guys, I seen a bunch of these tests posted before, but I was born in Missouri, so I usually need to see it for myself! Besides, I need to find my elk load...
Went out today with five 5 gallon buckets layed on their sides, each one with3 inches of wet sand in the bottom, then 9 inches of wet newspaper packed tight, topped with a piece of 3/4" pressure treated plywood with2 more inches of wet newspaper on top of the plywood. I had steel plates behind the buckets to play catch. Shooting from 100 yards with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS with my CVA Buckhorn,I tried the 295 gr Copper Aerotips, 300 gr Platinum Aerotips, 300 gr Harvester Sabertooths, 350 gr Maxi-Hunters and the 385 gr Hornady Great Plains. Frontier Gander is going to love the results...
I am really surprised at the Harvester, but proof is in the results. Looks like the PBs and the Great Plains are what you need to go forward with, whichever shoots the most accurate in your gun at 100 yards. Good luck, now you know with that charge what things will do.
Chap Gleason