HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowhunting TV Shows - likes/dislikes?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 PM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting TV Shows - likes/dislikes?

I've just grown real tired of all of them. They're all hunting exotic lands with fences and thousands spent on food plots. OR, in 4 shows, one is a handicapped person, one is a blonde bimbo and one is a kid in a box selecting from the dozen or so bucks that present themselves. IT's the "IN" thing to do a handicapped show, a girl show and a kid show, and maybe throw in a GI from Iraq. That's also popular now. These shows have a circuit it seems. They all go to Texas, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, and the Milk River. They're not real hunting life, they're eye wash and if you TIVO one you'll find there's about 11 minutes of show for every 30 minutes of air time. The rest is an infomercial. Now they're coming up with contest like the reality TV shows. They even have contest to see who can be on "The Team" next year. I'm sorry, but hunting is not a contest to me in any way shape or form. They want to know if you can act, video and talk. They could care less if you can hunt because they'll put you on the food plot of all food plots. I think the more they get into this the more disenchanted the public will become. They're getting closer and closer to fences without the wire in my eyes. A few months ago a guy was trying to organize a "Hunting League" if you will with darts etc. Everyone was up in the air about it. Now Drury is doing it and everyone has become a soap opera addict waiting for the next episode. I dislike it for the same reason I dislike the professional hunting leaque idea. It's not hunting, it's not about the journey, the woods or any of that. It's become a "Look at me" mentality. And how many times are we going to have to here the phrase, "That's what it's all about" when a guy(or kid, or blonde bimbo, or handicapped person) shoots something. They've all gotten away from hunting. They have nothing to give the average hunters. They're nothing like the average hunters. They have private land in little places like Iowa or Kansas, spend thousands of dollars on food plots so they can shoot bigger horns. Hardly ever do you hear them mention meat, the taste, the freezer... except for Uncle Ted. For most it's the look at me and were's my tape measure. I'm sorry, it's not hunting... it's really not. Show me a true story.... not a made for TV one. Show me an actual scout, hang a stand and try to kill a deer in a woods...not a food plot, not in a managed herd of hundreds. Show me the real world that most of us live in. Personnally, I'd rather shoot a crotch horn in NY public land than spend $15,000 to shoot a "TROPY" at the Tecomate Ranch or the Preserve. You might as well shoot them in a pen.

And please, show me some reality with kids, wifes, etc. IT's become a PC thing to include all that's not the norm. I'd rather it took 3 weeks of shows to scout, hunt and kill a basket 8 point than see some 10 year old kid sitting in a box blind dressed like a Cabelas Catalog discussing the herd in front of him and finally settling for a 150 inch 5 year old as they say. Who gives a flip. They might as well raise them in a cage and slit their throat.