HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bear questions
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 AM
StillHunter90
Typical Buck

Default RE: bear questions

They can be called in with either a rabbit in distress call or fawn in distress call, etc. They are definately oppertunistsandwill take an easy meal any time for sure.Find the location you would want to start at and start calling. I usuallySTARTat natural food sources like where ever the berries are even if its not a good year for them. If its relatively warm hit food sources near water. Start at medium a pitchandwork up to a louder pitch. Call for 30min - 1hr and if nothingmove about a 1/4 mile away and repeat.Continue this process making a giant circleending close to where you started.Rememberthat they are kinda lazy and just mozy around looking for foodand will lose interest in a call fast if you dont call steadily. I dont think its worth it to them sometimesto travel a huge distance for a little meal like a rabbitbut on the other hand some will come in so fast that it will definately test your nerves. This is why moving in the huge circle is so effective. When I call I prefer to have 2 people because of how close they can get to you without you hearing themdue to there padded feet. I have had one experience where it wastoo close forcomfort. Butif you do call one in you will definately become an addict. Again be careful with it and remember they are now hunting you thinking your something your not. But thats what gives you the rush. Invest in a scent lok suit if you can swing it, watch the wind and Good luck with it.